Search

Sunday, October 11, 2020

Tutorial: Dying Leather Lace

     Hello! Today I will be showing you how I dye my leather lace. You can buy pre dyed lace but the colors don't always match up with your dye. So I like to color the lace myself. I bought this leather lace from Leather Cord U.S.A.


First you will want to cut long strips of lace. I like to dye a lot at once so that I don't have to do it again.


Next you will want to find someplace to dye it. Using dye can get really messy so I do it over my basements sink although you can do it over anything you don't mind getting dirty. As you can see my dad also uses this sink for cleaning his paint brushes so a few spills of black/brown dye is okay.


I will be using this Fiebings's dark brown color. I also have a black but today I wanted to make a few brown bridles.


To apply the dye I use a paper towel. I have used wool daubers but when dying lace it is much easier with a rag or paper towel.


I fold the paper towel in half...


...and dip it in the dye bottle!


Now you can fold it over the lace and just pull it through! This creates a nice, even color super fast. I usually do multiple coats depending on how dark I want it to be. 


This is how the color turned out when I was done. 


Now I have to let the leather dry. It usually dries pretty fast but you want it to be completely dry before using it.


Optional: I add many layers of Super Shene on my leather to make it look extra shiny. I put it on the same way that I put on the dye.


Once you've finished with that your leather lace is ready for crafting!


Lily and Cindy eating kale.


No comments:

Post a Comment