Search

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Breyer Dog saddle


The other day I was looking at my stuff and I noticed that I had lots of scraps. I didn't have enough to make a traditional scale saddle but I could make a traditional scale dog saddle! I mostly did this because I made a saddle for my dog not so long ago.




First I got my dog and traced the shape of a saddle on a piece of paper.



After I was satisfied it was time to get crafting!


First I traced out my saddle flaps using the guide lines of the saddle template that I had made. 


Then I traced it onto a strip of tooling leather. Be careful during this step that you trace it neatly!


Here is what my saddle flaps looks like without knee rolls.


To make knee rolls I trace the shape onto two tiny pieces of foam. This makes the knee rolls pop out!



And then I cover them with thin leather. Make sure to pull it smooth!


Now onto the saddle tree! I make my trees out of a soda can, and I now that a lot of other tack makers out there do as well.


I use my flat pliers and bend on the lines to form the tree shape.


After, I glue a circle of thin leather and glue it down.


Just like this!


Now I glue on the saddle skirts. Make sure to not add too much glue or else it might get squeezed out and make you saddle have glue all over it. (This happens to me A LOT!)



Big saddle vs. Little saddle!


Now not the panels I cut out the shape with felt and I cover it with more leather.


It should now look like a saddle the only thing missing is the girth!


since this size is so small I decided to just make a strait simple girth. Idid this by getting a piece of lace and wrapping it in leather.


I had to add these clips to glue on the buckles!


Here it the finished saddle without the girth ( It was drying.) I know that it's SUPER bulky but for my  first almost stablemate scale saddle I'm pretty proud of it! I also made this entire thing out of my scraps!




No comments:

Post a Comment