Search

Thursday, June 3, 2021

Getting Started in the Model Horse Hobby: Tools

    Hello!  I know how hard it can be when your just starting out and you don't know what to buy or how to make anything. Thats why over the next few weeks I'm going to tell you exactly how to get started in the model horse hobby.

    So one of the big things that your going to need are tools and supplies. There are an endless amount of tools and supplies that you can buy, but I'm just going to go over the basics. 

Glue:

    So, Ive tried many different types of glue and I found that when working with real leather, Tacky glue works best. It dries really quickly and its non toxic and still flexible when it dries. Another option is Duco Cement.  I've also used this but it smells very strongly of chemicals and its harder to wash out.  



Scissors:

    Most people think that you're going to need some heavy duty scissors to cut leather, but no. Since model horse tack needs thin leather most regular scissors will cut very well through skiver leather. Just make sure that the scissors are sharp.

Exacto knife:

    I probably use the exacto knife the most. For cutting leather lace, skiving, and many other things. When you buy an exact knife I recommend buying lots of replacement blades, I go through a lot! In fact I bought a pack of 150 replacement blades.

Awl:

    I use my awl for punching buckle holes in my leather. (Also for getting my tack glue bottle open when I forget to put the cap on :) You could potentially even use an awl for making stitch marks on saddle flaps.

Pounce Wheel:

    If your looking for something to create perfect stitch marks on your model horse saddles, then a pounce wheel is for you! This little wheel creates perfectly even stitch marks on leather. While it does take a bit of practice to master, its a really awesome tool.


Ok, thats it for today! I hope this post helps you to find the tools that you need. If you have any tips or tricks that you'd love to share then feel free to tell me! I love new tips and tricks!        


Cookie looking really cute over her sand bath!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment