Search

Sunday, May 16, 2021

Being A Kid in the Model Horse Hobby

 Hello! So, don’t get me wrong sometimes I love being a kid, but sometimes I wish that I could do more things, independently. So I just wanted to share my struggles being in the model horse hobby.

1. Money

Ok, so this is a big one. I’m broke. I don’t have a job so I rely on my Etsy and birthday money to do the things that I love, such as making model horse tack. I want to buy really fancy artist resins and custom painted model horses, but no. Instead I use what little money I earn on supplies such as leather and mini hardware.

2. I can’t drive

Since I can’t drive I have to rely on my parents to drive me everywhere. This makes going to future (hopefully soon!)  live shows really difficult. 

3. School

I know that many people go to work all day, but school takes up a lot of time. I finish school at 2:00, but then, every day, I have HOURS of after school activities to go to. Singing, Cello, Math, and Softball just to name a few.

4. Bedtimes

So yes, I still have a bedtime. If it were up to me I would stay up all night working on model horse tack, but I am limited to a few hours until 9:30.

5. Expectations

When people hear that I make model horse tack, I feel like they don’t take me that seriously. I know that I’m not as good as other tack makers, but this is more than just “playing with toys”. 

Now for some photos! Today I made my first ever show halter! I had a tiny chain in my toolbox and I had nothing to do with it until I had the idea. Now let me just say it took a lot of fiddling with the tiny chain to loop it through the check rings, but I made it work!


Here are my newest drawings:









4 comments:

  1. what's so wrong about being a kid??? Don't be in such a hurry to be a grown up!! Once you are grown, you will have more responsibilities than you do now! (Ask your parents if you don't believe it!)

    Your art work and tack are *beautiful*!! I wish I was talented like you!) Even at my age, I'm learning new skills! A friend of mine just taught me how to make model dog collars out of metal chain! It looks like the real thing and it was a lot of fun!

    Because I collect model dogs (and several other animals), now I want to make collars for all of them!! (I have to find some yellow material so that I can make dog tags, tho!)

    Keep on with your good work! After awhile, people do check out Etsy and you will become more well-known and have more orders than you can handle!

    In the meanwhile, depending on your age (and the COVID -19 restrictions of course) do you think your parents will allow you to have a summer job?? Try that for extra money!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That circus horse drawing is especially awesome! And your tack is every bit as good as many adult tack makers (or even better.) When I first saw it, I actually thought you *were* an adult. Then, when you mentioned your age, my thought was that, in a few years, you are going to be among our elite tack makers in the hobby.

    I had the same dilemma when I was your age - no money, couldn't drive, and school and activities which took up my time. I babysat to earn money to spend on my horsey side. Would that be a possibility for you? (I kept it on my dresser in a glass canning jar labeled "Horse Money.")

    I just looked for your Etsy shop and don't see a link here on your blog page. Could you add it to the page? Make it so that people can click on it and get to your shop. That might raise sales.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can’t believe that I never thought of adding a link to my blog! I think I should do that!
      Also I got the inspiration for my circus horse drawing on your recent posts. :)

      Delete
  3. I have not been a kid in a very long time but I have a lot of the same struggles.
    1. Money. I have a lot of expenses that need to be paid before I can buy cool stuff. I have a small (but cool) collection of tack and models. Maybe see if people might be interested in trading for tack? That is how I got a lot of my cool things.
    3. (skipped 2 on purpose) I am actually also in school until 2:00. They do pay me to be there, but I am a paraprofessional so I don't make much money. Plus you know how tiring school is!
    4. Bedtime. I have to go to bed at 9:00 every night so I can function the next day. I feel you pain on not being able to stay up all night and work on things. I could get SO MUCH done if I didn't need to sleep :)
    5. Expectations. OK, I feel you on this one. I have been making dolls for 15 years and I still have people who look down on me for it. They look at making items for the hobby as... a cute hobby, at the most. Sorry to say that that doesn't really end. But with luck you can find the confidence to just be super proud of it. People respect it more when you are super confident about it.
    Your work is incredible and I agree with Lynn that in a few years you will be among the elite tack makers. Keep on building your skill and your hobby reputation. That will do great things for you!

    ReplyDelete